Wednesday 19 September 2012

Need for Speed HDD Fwd: My Book VelociRaptor Duo

Western Digital just announced the My Book VelociRaptor Duo yesterday, featuring 2 1TB VelociRaptor HDDs and 2 Thunderbolt ports for ultra-fast transfer and daisy chaining - so fast, it can transfer a 22GB HD movie in just 65 seconds!

Click the link below for more information on this new product!

http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=860

on the WDC facebook page it says that " My Book Thunderbolt Duo, transferred data at the rate of 250MB/s. In contrast, the new My Book VelociRaptor Duo handles data at 400MB/s. That's a blazing 60% increase in transfer speed! "


my personal benchmark which is extremely flaky using dd I think i managed 250 mb/s max on a 12 Tb RAID 5 local volume on SATA drives. 
I think the current pain with requirement for big ram machines to do de novo assembly can move the 'memory' requirements to HDD (which you can use SSDs to make up for the loss in speed of RAM)


Extreme speed of WD VelociRaptor drives inside.
With the extreme speed of two 10,000 RPM WD VelociRaptor drives inside united with the revolutionary speed of Thunderbolt technology your creative inspirations have never moved so fast.

Enhanced workflow efficiency.
The dual Thunderbolt ports make it easy to daisy chain more drives for even greater speeds and higher capacity. Add peripherals to further enhance your productivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Datanami, Woe be me